Position Number 003304
The Network Specialist is responsible for the day to day operations of the organization's core voice and data networks, network technology evaluations, protocol analysis, configuration and research, complex troubleshooting and analysis and special network projects. The primary role of this position is to design, configure and maintain the University's data center infrastructure. In addition, this resource will take an active role in planning and monitoring University wireless infrastructure. Essential Functions 60% Network configuration 30% Incident and problem management 10% Using network analysis, management and performance monitoring tools to diagnose problems and determine source.
This is highly technical and analytical work in serving as a specialist for networking, enterprise network planning, high-level troubleshooting, security, network system administration and/or networking products and services. Work includes the enterprise design, review of internal and external infrastructure requirements, technology evaluation, testing and developing guidelines for implementation. Specialists may consult with clients and/or vendors to determine future network systems requirements, design additions, solutions to complex network operating problems, and the design of network security systems. Employees serve as experts on the network and network services including serving as a resource to senior engineers in network problem solving and design. This includes determining needs and researching new technology additions and improvements to the network. Additional roles may include technical specialist in network management systems or telecommunications networks (data, voice, video and voice over IP), network architecture, network systems administration, network services and converged network services.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information systems, Computer Engineering, Engineering, Electronics or related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution and three years of progressive networking related experience such as network design, analysis or network management; or a Bachelor's degree from an appropriately accredited university and four years of progressive networking experience; or an Associate's degree in Electronics or Networking Technology and four years of progressive networking related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
At least three to four years' experience with hands-on network engineering with Cisco infrastructure, including but not limited to:
- Firewalls, Switches, Routers and Cisco Unified Communications will be preferred.
- At least two to three years' experience with Palo Alto Networks firewalls will be preferred.
- Relevant and current Cisco certifications will be preferred.
- Experience with network security, routing/switching, collaboration, and data center networking.
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Cisco VPN, firewalls, routing/switching, and software including Cisco IOS, CatOS, ASA OS, and NX- OS.
- Configuring Palo Alto Networks firewall hardware and software.
- Configuring and troubleshooting VPN issues on different types of IPSec and SSL endpoints including Cisco and Palo Alto firewalls and end-user
- Configuring and troubleshooting firewalls including Cisco ASA Firewalls in a single and multi-context environment.
- Configuring and managing Cisco Nexus series switches including the Nexus 9000, 6000, 5000 and 2000
- Hands-on experience with Layer 2/3 switching and routing.
- Deep understanding of networking protocols (e.g., IPSEC, BGP, OSPF, DHCP, DNS, QoS, 802.11).
- Configuring advanced services features of Cisco Catalyst 3800, 4500, 6500, and 6800 series switches.
- Working with Network Monitoring and Troubleshooting Preferred Skills:
- Creating and maintaining logical and physical networking documentation using Microsoft Visio or other diagramming applications and Microsoft Excel
- Candidate should possess excellent communication skills, with the ability and experience to communicate with customers, executive management and external
- Must be self-motivated, with the ability to work on a team or independently as needed.
- Candidate should have some familiarity with data classification and protection issues, including PII, HIPAA and
- Knowledge in IPv6.
- Knowledge in Azure and Amazon web services infrastructure.
- Configuring and managing enterprise wireless infrastructure
Interested individuals should apply on-line at https://jobs.uncc.edu. Search for position # 003304. Applicants are subject to background checks.
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and an ADVANCE Institution that strives to create an academic climate in which the dignity of all individuals is respected and maintained. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.